Amish furniture is widely known for being desirable, but why? We’ll briefly go over a few reasons today.
- When discussing elements of design in home furnishing you’ll often find elements that are clearly either form over function or function over form.
- When looking at Amish made furniture you will almost always find that it is the function over form element that dominates.
- Any decorative item, can not be truly considered Amish, but an influence from another style.
Attention to the Wood
- Amish craftsmen pay close attention to the wood they are working with.
- You will find that grains should match up on a piece of furniture, much like seams on a shirt, they should match up as closely as possible, if the species of wood allows, and not all species allows this.
- Know your woods when considering this element.
- You won’t find elements such as veneers and decorative scrolls on furniture that falls under in Amish-style family.
- Instead, you’ll find clean lines and a high level of functionality.
- One element that may seem trivial to modern sensibilities is the bars that make the back of the chair.
- Instead of a single piece of wood, you’ll find a series of bars.
- In a Shaker home, for instance, the chairs were hung on the wall, on pegs, when not in use. This is a great example of function over form.
When you buy a piece of Amish made furniture from Oak Country Peddler, you are getting an heirloom quality piece that can stay in your family for generations. They are of the highest quality, and are highly functional. Plan a trip out of the city, to scenic Greensburg, for a day and go home with a treasure!